Members of the Sto-Rox Family Health Center including Sara Silvestri, MD; Tim Krall, DMD; and Patrick Perry, DMD received recognition in the form of local gift cards from MRCDC for their hard work during the pandemic.
2020 RECAP –
Challenges presented in all sectors of 2020 didn’t stop the McKees Rocks Community Development Corporation from adapting to the difficulties of COVID-19 and finding new ways to serve the Sto-Rox communities.
Highlights from our mission-driven work in 2020 include:
- Finalized funding commitments for Phase I of downtown/lower Chartiers Avenue streetscape reconstruction. Learn about the multi-phased project here.
- Created a set of community-directed standards and objectives for the development of MRCDC owned properties in the McKees Rocks business district.
- Development 101 – a series of free educational workshops focusing on real estate development for community members
- Worked with representatives in neighboring City of Pittsburgh on plans to improve, expand and extend public park space
- Attracted and facilitated investment in several commercial properties in the community
- “Quarantine Contest” supported local businesses while giving residents the chance to win free gift cards
- Initial planning for a youth-led board to advise MRCDC launched
- Kept local businesses informed about the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program and other types of financial aid during the pandemic
- Worked to bring Bill Strickland Jr., founder and executive chairman of Manchester Bidwell Corp., to serve as a mentor for the Grow Sto-Rox Collaborative through The Forbes Funds C3 Program. The five-partner organization, which includes MRCDC, is focused on the improvement of quality of life and economic opportunity for the area’s most vulnerable residents.
- Provided $82,500 in COVID-19 response microgrants to 33 area small businesses
- Recognized dedication of Sto-Rox area first responders with $5,000 in awards
- Co-hosted an eight-week online community education Civics Series with West End POWER
Thank all of you for your support throughout the year. We look forward to celebrating even more advancements in 2021.