2015 Learn and Earn Summer Youth Employment Initiative FACT SHEET
What are the dates of the summer program? First day of employment is June 29, 2015, and the last day of employment is August 7, 2015. The Learn and Earn program will incorporate a three-tiered model which will allow for more appropriate youth placement and job/skills matching, while further enhancing their overall experience.
What are the pay rates? Tier One and Two youth are paid $7.25 per hour and may work up to 25 hours per week, 5 hours a day, which includes a 30 minute unpaid lunch, Monday through Friday. Prior to worksite placement the youth will receive 12 hours of Work Readiness Training paid $6.00/hr. Tier Three youth are paid $8.50 per hour and may work up to 20 hours per week. Tier Three youth will also receive 24 hours of Work Readiness training paid $8.50/hr prior to their worksite placement and throughout the 6 week placement. Internship starting and ending times will vary according to the work-site.
Who can apply? City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County residents who will be at least 14, and no older than 21, as of June 29, 2015.
When to apply? Youth may apply Friday, April 10, 2015 through Wednesday, April 30, 2015.
What kinds of jobs may be available? The internships will be concentrated in 14 career tracks based on the growing or trending occupations in the Pittsburgh area: Customer Service; Education; Community Development (Government and Non-profit); Health Care; Human Services; Information Technology; Insurance; Park Management; Public Works; Recreation; Public Safety; Labor/Trades; Financial/Banking; and Marketing. The daily worksite tasks will vary based upon the youth’s selected career/occupation track and tier placement.
When and where can I turn in my application? All applications must be submitted in person to one of the following locations listed below from April 10 to April 30, 2015. Hours: Mon – Fri, 10 am – 6 pm and Saturday, April 18 and April 25, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. (Any exceptions noted below) Applications must be submitted with the required documentation or the application will be determined ineligible. Applicants who are less than 18 years of age must have applications signed by a parent or legal guardian. The Application deadline is 6:00 PM, Wednesday, April 30, 2015.
You may apply at one of the following Application Centers:
- Goodwill of SWPA-Southside, Goodwill Building, 2400 East Carson Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203, 412-632-1740
- Eastside Neighborhood Employment Center, 5321 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, 412-362-8580
- West End Works, 825 Lorenz Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15220, 412-533-2029
- Northside Coalition for Fair Housing, 1821 Brighton Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, 412-321-5527
- Housing Authority-City of Pittsburgh, Bedford Hope Center, 2305 Bedford Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, 412-395-3950
- Allegheny County DHS, 1 Smithfield Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, 412-350-5701 (no Saturdays)
- Auberle, 1101 Hartman Street, McKeesport, PA 15132, 412-673-5800 (Sat. 11am-1pm)
- Focus on Renewal, 701 Chartiers Avenue, McKees Rocks, PA 15136, 412-331-1685 ext. 261 (no Saturdays)
- Goodwill Retail Operations Center, 294 Lincoln Highway, North Versailles, PA 15137, 412-281-6629
- Hosanna House, 807 Wallace Avenue, Wilkinsburg, PA 15221, 412- 243-7711
- South Hills Interfaith Ministries, 5301 Park Avenue, Bethel Park, PA 15102, 412-854-9120 (no Saturdays)
- YouthPlaces, Duquesne, 938 Chestnut Street, Duquesne, PA 15110, 412-918-6449 (no Saturdays)
- YouthPlaces, Clairton,1090 Marion Circle, Milvale Acres Community Bldg., Clairton, PA 15025, 412-260-2193 (no Saturdays)
- YouthWorks/Goodwill, 401 Wood Street, Suite 1500, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, 412-281-6629 Rev 3/2015
What is included in the Application Packet? The packet is 8 pages and includes: Fact Sheet (front and back), Instructions, Application (front and back), Income Guidelines, Application Checklist and Directions on how to obtain a Work Permit. The package may print out differently when obtained from a website.
What are the eligibility requirements? All applicants must meet age, income, U.S. Citizenship and residency requirements, and provide verification of various application items (see the Application Instructions and Application Checklist).
What are the determining Factors for Tier Placement?
- Applicants have little or no prior exposure to the world of work.
- Applicants will work in groups in a paid work experience
- Applicants will begin to build work readiness and soft skills necessary for the workplace
- Applicants will be exploring their post-secondary goals
- Applicants will be exploring various career tracks related to their interests
- Applicants have limited experience in the world of work.
- Applicants may have participated in prior Summer Youth Employment programs
- Applicants have an idea of their career interest(s)
- Applicants have limited work readiness training
- Applicants will be evaluated as to their interests and skill levels to further develop their post-secondary education and career goals
- Applicants will exemplify the ability to comprehend basic work requirements, handle tasks under the direction of supervisors, capability to work on tasks solely with favorable outcomes or results.
Tier Three: (Youth MUST submit a resume to be considered for this Tier)
- Applicants will have identified their career goals, skills sets, and post-secondary education needs/goals.
- Applicants will also have shown exemplary capabilities in the work world
- Applicants will handle tasks and projects from start to finish solely and as team members
- Applicants will think creatively for efficient results in their career tracks of interest
- Applicants may be acting as mentors in financial literacy to their peers
Important: In the event there are more applications than available positions, all eligible completed applications may be selected at random to determine summer employment status. Selected applicants will be notified by phone or e-mail.
Download the Application by visiting http://pittsburghpa.gov/personnel/pittsburghpartnership or www.TRWIB.org or www.alleghenycounty.us
Follow us on Twitter@PghSYEP
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING APPLICATION PLEASE READ THIS PAGE CAREFULLY AS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS MAY POSSIBLY DELAY THE REVIEW AND HIRING PROCESS. USE THE APPLICATION AND DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO APPLY.
Please remember that each question on the application MUST be completed and in black or blue ink. If a question does not pertain to you, please place N/A in the blank. All applications MUST be submitted in person to one of the application centers with the required eligibility documentation. Please refer to attached Application Checklist. Parents MUST sign and date the application if an applicant is under the age of 18.
- Males 18 and older must be registered with the Selective Service. For registration and/or proof of registration, go to http:/www.sss.gov
- Age, Family Income and Address must be verified with additional documentation (called third party verification). See the Checklist to determine what other paperwork will be required.
- Please include only family members and their relationship to the applicant who reside at the applicant’s stated address. Family members consist of at least two or more persons related by blood, marriage or decree of court (husband, wife or guardian and dependent children). A dependent child is under the age of 19 at the end of the previous calendar year; or is a student under the age of 22.
- All information requested on the Application pertains to the youth applicant and not the parents or guardians, except for family income. Family income (total gross family income from the last 6 Months) is the total income for all family members.
- Work history only includes the Applicant’s employment in the last 6 months. Employment dates should reflect month, date and year.
- Along with current education status, you must indicate last grade of completion.
- The Work Permit is NOT REQUIRED for the application. (Please read attached instructions for obtaining a work permit). For youth ages 14-17, a WORK PERMIT is required ONLY if selected for participation in the program.