National Pizza Day
Everybody has a favorite place to grab a slice of pizza pie. In McKees Rocks, where there are so many tasty choices, choosing a favorite is just that much harder.
With today, Thursday, Feb. 9, being National Pizza Day, the staff at McKees Rocks Community Development Corporation decided they should join the rest of the country in celebrating. After drawing lots on where to order from – we had a tough time agreeing – it was decided that this year’s celebration would be supplied by Doughboy’s Pizza on Island Avenue.
They didn’t disappoint! We went for the Big “O” Pizza with toppings galore including pepperoni, sausage, bacon, green pepper, onion, mushroom and black olive piled on top of the famous “old school” thin hand-stretched crust. Healthy side salads were also part of our promptly delivered order.
If you’re thinking of celebrating National Pizza Day with us, here’s a list of local pizza spots that won’t disappoint including Mama Lena’s II known for its Guinness World Record-winning “Big One”:
KNOWN FOR PIZZA
- Doughboy’s Pizza, 508 Island Ave., McKees Rocks
- Fox’s Pizza Den of Stowe Township, 659 Woodward Ave., Stowe
- Gavino’s Pizza, 528 Chartiers Ave., McKees Rocks
- LaVostra Pizza, 642 Broadway Ave., Stowe
- Mama Lena’s II, 732 Broadway Ave, Stowe
PIZZA & MUCH MORE
- Jabby Joe’s, 1562 Island Ave., Stowe, where Wednesday is Pizza Night offering deals on an 8-cut.
- Mancini’s, 601 Woodward, Stowe, is known far and wide for its twist loaf bread but did you know you can buy dough to make your own pie at home or grab a few pizza boats from the freezer section?
- Michael’s Lounge, 331 Singer Ave., Stowe offers a bunch of bar food faves including pizza.
Let us know which of these local places makes your favorite pizza and why! Email us here and we’ll choose a winner to receive pizza at their favorite spot. In the meantime, enjoy National Pizza Day. We did.