Community Engagement Coordinator
Our Mission and Work
The mission of McKees Rocks Community Development Corporation (MRCDC) is revitalization; we work with the Sto-Rox community to foster inclusive and equitable economic growth, generational wealth building, affordable housing, commercial development, and creativity.
For the past 18 years, we have undertaken a number of real estate development projects as defined in community plans, often through the creation of innovative public-private partnerships. As our organization has evolved, we have integrated our residents into our work in a deeper way. We focus on their well-being as our ultimate goal.
Increasingly, MRCDC sees its mission and vision within the context of these goals for the broader community:
- Increase the economic security and mobility of vulnerable families and workers
- Cultivate homegrown talent through a strong cradle-to-career pipeline
- Grow good accessible jobs that provide pathways to the middle class
- Create a healthy, opportunity-rich neighborhood
All of this is considered through a trauma-informed, strengths based approach.
MRCDC is seeking to add an exceptional individual to our staff to help us in our efforts to best serve the Sto-Rox community. The person who holds the Community Engagement Coordinator position will be responsible for the administration of all activities related to community engagement and assist in developing our community engagement strategy. This position requires the planning and facilitation of various community engagement activities, events, and marketing.
This position is ideal for someone who is an excellent communicator, community organizer, and relationship builder. Experience within the community and with diverse populations is prioritized over formal education or nonprofit experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the creation, implementation, and oversight of a community engagement strategy.
- Review and evaluate engagement systems and activities and enhance systems where appropriate to continually improve effectiveness.
- Identify potential community partners and build lasting and reciprocal relationships with those partners.
- Work consistently to understand and make meaningful connections and relationships in the Sto-Rox community.
- Provide opportunities for early involvement and meaningful voice in identifying community needs and shaping solutions.
- Host and coordinate at least one major event per year in partnership with other Sto-Rox nonprofits to build awareness of local resources.
- Coordinate other minor events and engagement workshops throughout the year.
- Manages team of volunteers who assist in community engagement and outreach activities.
- Foster partnerships in support of and with other organizations.
- Ensure the needs of culturally and economically diverse communities are met and identify and remove barriers to participation.
- Make use of training, one-on-one interviews, small group meetings, and other techniques to facilitate the engagement of residents in taking initiative to solve community problems.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports related to program activities.
- Take pictures and other media for use on the organization’s website, for use in media and public relations, and social media.
- Lead on-site tours, speaking expertly on organization mission, history, growth, and future goals as they relate to MRCDC as a whole as well as individual programs/initiatives.
- Assist in delivering information to a variety of audiences through the spectrum of communication systems, such as social media, radio, community presentations/booths, marketing materials, press releases, and more.
- Have strong knowledge and belief in the overall organization and mission.
- Assist in coordinating and hosting community events, meetings, and training.
- Successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- 3+ years of experience in committed volunteering, community building, and organizing, or community engagement roles.
- Extensive knowledge of the region, local community, and culture.
- Self-starter, eager to learn and grow in the role, while expanding the reach of MRCDC involvement and voice in local and regional communities.
- Adept in public speaking and in communicating with diverse populations.
- Can manage volunteers in an organized, calm and positive manner.
- Passionate about MRCDC’s mission, eager to increase community engagement and knowledge of the organization.
- Ability to plan, market/advertise, teach, and oversee applicable community classes/workshops.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with community members, funders, and media/press.
- Proficient in Google programs, adept in email/online navigation, with a willingness to learn new software/programs as needed for success in position.
- Create and maintain collaborative work structures with other staff to increase effectiveness of communication, marketing, community engagement, etc.
Competencies and Behaviors
In order to successfully meet the requirements of the position, the following competencies and behaviors must be demonstrated:
- Believes in and practices the mission and goals of McKees Rocks Community Development Corp.
- Ability to work as a positive team leader, facilitating a team environment through personal behavior, work contributions and the sharing of experience and knowledge.
- Facilitates the development of new ideas and methods for program enhancement and adjusts and adapts to changes.
- Maintains a constant awareness of the “client” and exhibits recognition and appreciation of their needs with the ability to achieve results with positive outcomes for families accessing the programs.
- Ability to be energetic, resilient and maintain a sense of humor when challenged.
- Collaborates well with coworkers to achieve results with positive outcomes for individuals and families across the various program areas.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a timely and efficient manner.
- Effective interpersonal skills under all types of conditions, exhibiting a supportive, positive approach.
- Demonstrates a high degree of personal initiative with good planning and organizational skills.
- Maintains timely and accurate files.
- Experience with creating comprehensive community engagement strategies using nonprofit best practices preferred but not required.
This position offers a competitive starting salary, in the range of $37,000 – $50,000, commensurate with previous experience, demonstrated skills, and relevant education.
MRCDC would prefer the successful candidate be a resident of the McKees Rocks, Stowe Township or an immediately surrounding community.
Our Equitable Vision
McKees Rocks Community Development Corporation (MRCDC) envisions a Sto-Rox where places serve people and support community growth, and where systemic oppression is replaced with empowerment. We foresee an equitable, liveable, safe, creative, and thriving community; one that inspires its residents, entrepreneurs, and visitors.
How to Apply:
Please prepare a relevant cover letter and full resume attached to an email with the heading: Community Engagement Coordinator. Send email to: email@example.com.
Deadline date: September 30, 2021.
Please understand we cannot accept phone calls regarding the position; however, all applications will be acknowledged as received.
McKees Rocks Community Development Corp. is an equal opportunity employer.