On March 29, MRCDC hosted a Social Media Management Workshop at the Father Ryan Arts Center that attracted 23 community partners who learned social media best practices, strategies and how to use popular tools from industry expert Amanda King.
Realizing the critical role social media plays in connecting community partners and residents, MRCDC invited King, our marketing consultant, to lead the audience through a one-hour interactive class on the ins and outs of social media management.
Taking into account that audience member’s skill levels were across the board, King kicked off the workshop with an overview of the basics of social media and what to do before one even starts posting. She went over the importance of defining a goal for one’s intended social media campaign and which channels are appropriate to use for the audience one is trying to reach.
King then walked the class through blogging best practices and Search Engine Optimization, how to use hashtags when posting on social media channels and how to grow one’s following.
“The Social Media Workshop provided me with tangible ways I could begin to turn my social media “footprint” from distraction to action,” said Leah Marmo, who attended the workshop. “Amanda showed us how to utilize social media spaces like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as vehicles for community engagement, event promotion and information gathering.”
Tracey Pedersen, who manages the McKees Rocks Historical Society Facebook page attended the event. She said she liked how the presentation was filled with tips and tricks “for us social media gurus who love to get the word out.”
Pedersen added, “The workshop presented loads of knowledge, such as the use of the @ sign to tag people and organizations, how to connect social media accounts in Instagram, the program Canva and scheduling tools like Hootsuite and Buffer. The presentation was outstanding!”
Marmo said she learned many more creative ways to connect with others and how to effectively use digital spaces as tools to further develop programs and ideas.
“I would love to attend more workshops to further develop my social media presence,” she said.
MRCDC will continue to offer Social Media Management Workshops to the community based on interest. If you’re interested in attending a future workshop, contact MRCDC Marketing & Communications Manager, Heather Franz.
- Happy Hour / Trivia Night to benefit McKees Rocks community development ( February 1, 2018 )
- Next Neighborhood Leaders returns to McKees Rocks for second installment ( October 5, 2017 )
- McKees Rocks Council President George “Spike” Riel shares the love for Feastival ( August 12, 2017 )
- McKees Rocks Feastival launches music/food lineup for 5th annual fest on Aug. 26 ( August 12, 2017 )
- Help create opportunity and impact by sharing ideas during Launch Sto-Rox, a community conversation ( July 6, 2017 )
- Local police join forces to add National Night Out event to list of fun Sto-Rox area summer activities ( July 6, 2017 )
- Happy Hour fundraiser set for Aug. 10 benefits Sto-Rox area community development ( June 21, 2017 )
- Childhood memories stir as 50th Sto-Rox graduating class tours K-12 hallways ( June 7, 2017 )
- Sponsors, donations needed for 5th annual McKees Rocks Feastival ( May 3, 2017 )
- Sto-Rox Artists and Designers Wanted For Local Snapchat Contest ( March 15, 2017 )
- Sto-Rox Opioid Crisis Summit spreads message of hope
- Healthy food access financing available for local markets through Bridgeway
- Happy Hour / Trivia Night to benefit McKees Rocks community development
- Musicians one step closer to taking the stage at historic Roxian Theatre
- Happy Holidays from the team at McKees Rocks Community Development Corporation!
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- December 2014
- November 2013